Eteläsuomalaisen Osakunnan Laulajat (EOL) is searching for an artistic director for indefinite employment beginning on January 1, 2020.
EOL is a chamber choir from Helsinki with roughly 20 members. We are focused on classical music, with a particular passion for the Renaissance and the Baroque. EOL is a student choir operating under HYY (the Student Union of the University of Helsinki), though many of our singers have already finished their studies. EOL is a friendly, sociable group of people and we like to spend time together outside of practice as well.
We practice on Wednesdays from 6 to 9 pm in Jätkäsaari, and we also have a weekend camp twice per year. Our yearly performances include 2–4 concerts of our own, the Academic Christmas Concert together with other university choirs, two events of the Southern Finnish Nation and occasional other gigs. Our season begins in August–September and concludes at the end of May.
Over the last decade we have, for example, recorded 17th century English music and performed two Renaissance-themed musical plays. Our critically acclaimed album Syvä ja kirkas (2016) contains premiere recordings of contemporary Finnish music. Our repertoire also includes 20th century Finnish classics and popular arrangements.
The Artistic Director’s responsibilities include planning our repertoire, preparing practices, conducting practice (including warm-ups), conducting concerts and other performances, auditioning singers together with the Music Committee and participating in board meetings as required.
What we expect from you:
- experience in conducting a choir as well as studies in the field
- interest in vocal pedagogy and the ability to guide singers in vocal control
- artistic vision and motivation to develop the choir
- an inspiring attitude and understanding of the meaning of good team spirit in a choir
- interest or studies in Renaissance and Baroque music is an advantage
Send us your free-form application, salary requirement, and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org on September 9, 2019 at the latest. Interviews will be held from September 16 to September 23, and based on those, top applicants will be invited for a job audition held on Wednesday, October 2. The job will start at the beginning of 2020. The probation period is five months.
For more information, please contact:
- Vice President Loviisa Hynninen +358505956791, email: email@example.com
- Artistic Director Teemu Tommola, +358505283289, email: firstname.lastname@example.org